Australia Permanent Residence Visas - Employer Sponsored
186 Visa - Employer Nominated Visa
The 186 Visa allows employers to sponsor or assist employees on a 457 Visa a pathway to progress to permanent residence while remaining in Australia.
There are 3 eligibility pathways for the 186 visa:
- Direct Entry Stream - For applicants who do not hold a 457 visa.
- Transitional Residence Stream - For applicants who have worked for their employer for 2 years while holding a 457 Visa.
- Agreement Stream - for persons who will work for an employer who has a labour agreement (this is relatively uncommon - but please contact us for further details).
The key requirements for this visa which you must meet at the time the application is lodged are as follows:
- Your employer must be prepared to nominate you for permanent residence and meet the nomination requirements.
- Your occupation must be on the gazetted CSOL list.
Other eligibility requirements:
- Transition Stream - You must have worked in a full-time position in Australia in the occupation (mentioned above) on a Subclass 457 visa, for your employer, for the last two years prior to the visa application being made OR
- Direct Entry Stream - have had your skills assessed as suitable by the appropriate skills assessing authority and have at least three years full-time work experience in the occupation before the visa application is lodged (unless there are exceptional circumstances).
- Show that you have the appropriate skills, qualifications and/or experience to fill the position If you need to be licensed or registered, then you must already be so (e.g. registered nurse, electrician etc.).
- Be under 50 years of age (unless you meet the exemptions).
- Provide a contract confirming your remuneration, position, employment terms etc. This must meet market salary requirements.
- Have Competent English language ability (i.e. IELTS of at least 6.0 in each band).
- You will also need to meet the health and character requirements for a permanent visa.
Contact us to arrange a consultation to discuss your 186 visa requirements. Please note that we do charge a nominal fee for a consultation.
Click below to find out more about Australia Visas:
We charge a reasonable fee for migration advice relating to Australia visas & visa compilation assistance. We are not affiliates of the Department of Immigration & Border Protection - they can be contacted for free advice.